SemahTronix Newport facility is an innovative partnership between private enterprise and the Arkansas Department of Correction (ADC). ADC provided SemahTronix with a 22,000 square foot, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, in return for providing gainful employment for approximately 10% of the inmates at the MacPherson Unit, a women’s prison.
“The inmates love the jobs…They covet those jobs,” says Burl Scifres, who administers the program. “Since the inception of the program, there hasn’t been a single disciplinary write-up against any of the women who are working for SemahTronix. They don’t want to lose those jobs.”
The facility manufactures various assemblies for many customers, and works closely with SemahTronix main facility in Flippin to manage quality and customer satisfaction. The Newport facility received its ISO Certification in 2007.
Production Equipment (partial list)
- Megomat ASM 3001
- 4 AMP Strippers/Crimpers
- 3 AMP G Presses
- 6 AMP K Presses
- AMP Tapetronics
- Schleuniger Wire Cut/Strip Machine
- 2 Panduit Tie Lock Installers
- 9 Schleuniger Wire Strippers
- Various IDC Crimp Machines: AMP, Molex, etc.
- Various Crimp Dies: AMP, JST, Hirose, Hollingsworth, Berg, T&B, Molex, Deutsch, Positronics, etc.
- 4 Cirris Testers
- 2 Hipot Testers
- Cable Scanners
- Capacitance Tester
- Digital VOM
- Digital Crimp Height Micrometer
- Tensile Strength Tester
- Numerous specially-designed inspection, measuring, and testing devices
Radio Frequency Equipment
- 2MP 8015 Strippers